[Mailman-Users] Availability of patches on Launchpad

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Sep 8 16:47:32 CEST 2008

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Richard Barrett writes:
>
> > I guess it is not intended that the old approach with sourceforge of
> > putting enhancements into the tracker with patch files attached,
> > should be followed with Launchpad. I expect someone is going to tell
> > me I should create my own branches of Mailman on Launchpad for each
> > of my enhancement and publish what were patch file contents in that
> > way.
>
>I imagine that is the "preferred method" for *future* patches, but
>since Canonical is after World Domination Now (or at least a market
>share that requires units greater than nano-percents to measure), they
>had better not lose history this way.  I advise you to assume that
>this is just a bug (albeit a rather distressing one) that will be
>fixed in due time, until somebody says otherwise.

Stephen is correct that this is a serious bug in the migration process.
It was not intended that anything would be culled or lost in this
process.

It appears that the same problem existed in the "demo" that was
announced last month
(<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2008-August/020345.html>
and
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-August/063021.html>),
but it wasn't caught.

Nothing is permanently lost as the SourceForge trackers still exist.
They just aren't currently accessible by other than project members.

Unfortunately, Barry may not yet be aware of this as at least
yesterday, the primary MX for list.org was not working, but I'm
confident that this problem will be fixed.