[Mailman-Users] Moving and renaming a list

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Sep 12 01:24:59 CEST 2008

Oliver Hookins wrote:

> I've got a list which is on a machine that will be decommissioned soon. I
> have to move it to another machine, but that destination machine already
> has a list with the same name. I'm guessing I will have to rename the list
> no matter what, but I can still have the same email addresses pointing to it
> right?

You'll have to rename the list, but once it's renamed, the senders should be
able to use whatever addresses they want to send to the list.

But maybe I misunderstood the question?

> The other unfortunate aspect of this situation is that the source machine
> has Mailman 2.1.5, and the destination has 2.0.9. Is this likely to cause
> big problems?

Yeah, I don't think that's going to work so well -- the binary on-disk
representation of the list configuration changed between 2.0.x and 2.1.x,
and while Mailman makes it easy to upgrade, there are no downgrade tools I
know of.  Certainly, you won't be able to move the list configuration pickle
files.

You can dump the list of users to a text file and then re-import that on the
older server, but it's going to be hard to capture all the other aspects of
the list configuration.