[Mailman-Users] bin/upgrade has been broken since2.1.5(orpossibly longer)

Knut Auvor Grythe knut at auvor.no
Fri Sep 19 19:01:32 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 09:32:18AM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>>> The recovery is something like:
>>>
>>>   find lists/*/request.pck -mtime +365 -delete
>>
>> In my case, probably. But this doesn't change my point, you just have to
>> substitute "python" with "mailman". I certainly wouldn't know whether it
>> was safe or not to just delete request.pck files like that. That's why I
>> patched the upgrade script instead, since it seemed the safest approach.
>
> Understood. I will probably add something to the UPGRADING document
> about this, but I don't know if that would have helped in your case
> since I don't know if Debian includes that in their documentation.

It doesn't seem to be in /usr/share/doc/mailman. However, upgrades will
(or at least should) be handled by the package somehow, as soon as the
quirks are known. So normal users shouldn't need that document anyway,
only the package maintainer.

That is, it should be handled by the package if upgrading normally using
apt. I tend to move the entire mailman installation to another host (so
I can easily roll back if something goes wrong), and in that case I'm on
my own. But I'm aware of this, and therefore read the upgrading docs
from upstream (at least if my test upgrade fails when using our internal
documentation on the matter).

Normal ubuntu users who installed mailman using apt and then upgrade
their entire system using the package manager do not opgrade from 2.0.x
anyway, so that will definitely not be a problem :-)

--
Knut Auvor