[Mailman-Users] Moving to a new server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Sep 24 16:44:30 CEST 2008

RobG wrote:
>The version we have now was installed during the server setup, so it
>lives in /usr/lib/mailman.
>I've moved over the various lists/ and data/ and other directories that
>didn't already exist.  I've run bin/check_perms -f to fix the
>permissions.  I updated our mm_cfg list with the changes we made (what
>few there were).  We're running Postfix as the mail transport.
>BUT, so far, the new installation of mailman doesn't recognize the lists
>we have.  I'm guessing there's a config file or something somewhere that
>needs to be modified (or copied over from the old installation) for it
>to work.  Or, is there a different way I should be doing this?

You didn't move the lists to the right place. RedHat puts things all
over the place to be FHS compliant. There should have already been a
/var/lib/mailman/lists/ directory which is where you should put your
lists/* subdirectories. Likewise, /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/.

for a map.

There is no global config file. If there is a
lists/<listname>/config.pck file, the <listname> list exists.