[Mailman-Users] How to set default list settings

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Wed Apr 1 15:53:15 CEST 2009

Salvatore D'Agostino <sdagostino at tropotel.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can set the default settings for all newly
>created lists so that I won't have to always log in to the website each
>time and set them individually?
>
>Thanks in advance =)

I have 25 list template files that I use when I create a list via
the command-line interface.  I created these by saving the default
configuration and modifying it for each of the 25 configuration
variations.  My list-creation script has at its core:

     /usr/sbin/newlist $emaildomain $listname
     config_list -i $listname.config $listname

I take one of my 25 config templates, copy it into a new list
template, make the necessary modifications

     realname
     info
     decription
     etc.

and use that new config file as $listname.config in my script.
This assumes that one has access to the command-line interface.
I have never created a new list via the web page because I would then
have to remember what list parameters need to be changed.  I have
already done this work in creating my 25 list config templates.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov