[Mailman-Users] Cluster of postfix

Juan Antonio Cuesta jacuesta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 17:23:16 CEST 2009

Hello,

i used the NFS shared files. A day the Nas Server crashed and my smtp
servers could not work normaly. I had the conf files and the all db
files.

Thank you.

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:19:40 +0200
From: Melvyn Sopacua <mdev at dnr.servegame.org>
Subject: Re: Cluster of postfix

On Friday 17 April 2009 18:16:01 Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 06:11:24PM +0200, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> > > Mailbox files, on the other hand, are usually overwritten, and they
> > > are updated in place.  This almost works reliably, especially if
> > > you use dotlock files and turn off NFS attribute caching.
> >
> > And I was talking about OP's case of sharing configuration files. I do a
> > lot more with nfs, where multiple machines can write to the same file. As
> > long as I do it in sequence, the other ones will see the changes. Two
> > people editing the same file falls into shooting yourself in the foot
> > category and is not specific to NFS or even two different machines.
>
> It is IMHO much more sensible to push config files from a central machine
> where the configs are kept under revision control in CVS, SVN, ... than
> to share configs (and indexed tables) via NFS.

I'm looking to save work, not add more or replace one with the other. Plus I
have ZFS snapshots [1]. Either way, as long as I keep bdb libraries in sync on
the machines, my initial tests show this is working as I expected. Now I'll
just sit and wait for the corner cases where it won't work, but can't think of
any. ;)

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/misc/zfs/zfs_snapshot.swf
- --
Melvyn Sopacua