[Mailman-Users] Sending bulk mail (400,000 users)

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Wed Apr 22 12:59:07 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 09:38:05PM +0530, Phoenix Kiula wrote:
> Hi. I need to send annoucements to a large opt-in list.
>
> Having never done this before [...]

Since you've never done this before, and you mention that the list
has 400K users, I urge extreme caution.  Unless you/your operation
have explicitly requested and explicitly received permission from
all 400K users to send them bulk email, then you should not do so.
Note that permission is NOT transferable: a user who has given permission
to A to receive bulk email from A has not given that same permission to B.
Permission cannot be bought, sold, traded, presumed or inferred: and
the sending of bulk email without permission is called "spamming".

For further explanation, please see:

	http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/answers.lasso?section=Marketing%20FAQs

---Rsk