[Mailman-Users] mail to non-existing list - Part two

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 24 17:34:43 CEST 2009

Jeff Bernier wrote:

>I have an instance of Postfix-(2.4.3) running on my Mailman-(2.1.9) host-(Mac OSX 10.5.6).
>
>I am relatively new to both Mailman and Postfix, so I'm not sure where to look. Is there something in Postfix that may be causing this?

Normally, but not always, Postfix delivers to Mailman via aliases that
look like:

mailman:         "|/path/to/mail/mailman post mailman"
mailman-admin:   "|/path/to/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces: "|/path/to/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
etc.

for the mailman (site) list, and

LISTNAME:         "|/path/to/mail/mailman post LISTNAME"
LISTNAME-admin:   "|/path/to/mail/mailman admin LISTNAME"
LISTNAME-bounces: "|/path/to/mail/mailman bounces LISTNAME"
etc.

for a list named LISTNAME, with a set for each list. With Postfix,
these aliases can be automatically maintained by Mailman, but they may
not be.

In your case, delivery is not (totally) via aliases, because if it
were, and you mailed to NOLIST at example.com, the NOLIST address would
be undeliverable because there would be no alias for it.

So I'm guessing you have some other delivery process involving a
dedicated domain, e.g. lists.example.com, and mail to a non-existent
NOLIST at lists.example.com address is delivered to
mailman at lists.example.com instead of being rejected during SMTP.

The first step would be to find the entries for mail to
NOLIST at lists.example.com in Postfix's log (the system maillog?) and
see how they are being delivered.

This is probably a complex process involving Postfix's master.cf and
main.cf and other components.

Is this an Apple OS X server preinstalled Mailman? If so, this is an
Apple issue. We will try to help, but may not be able to.