[Mailman-Users] Problems after CentOS upgrade....

Charles Gregory cgregory at hwcn.org
Fri Apr 24 18:48:42 CEST 2009

Hallo!

This may not specifically be a mailman problem, but I'm noticing
strange behaviour in mailmain, as well as in general on my mail server.

Background: My CentOS 4 system ran an automatic 'yum' update two days
ago, and it updated many system files. I'm not an expert, but it looks
like the 'kernel' and many 'lib' files were updated. The system did not
'reboot', but during this process everal daemons were automatically
restarted, and my 'Mail Avenger' daemon just failed (which caused
temporary delay of incoming mail). I had to restart 'asmtpd' and for good
measure, restarted postfix.

Mailman seemed to 'lock up', and queued all outgoing messages until I did
a restart mid-yesterday. I got another complaint today, did another
restart, and once again the list messages are going out. But I have no
guarantee that it won't keep repeating this behaviour. Has anyone heard or
seen any explanation for behaviour like this?

It may be a postfix issue, even though postfix was *not* among the updated
programs. I'm noticing that I'm seeing multiple copies of *some* messages
from this list. They have the Received Lines showing they were sent
multiple times by the list serve, almost as if they had 4xx errors the
first time? Very strange.....

I don't really want to reboot the whole system, especially where the
stability of it is in doubt. Any advice welcome (anyone know a good,
active CentOS mailing list that might have an angle on this?).

Thanks!

- Charles