[Mailman-Users] What does this message mean?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 28 16:03:42 CEST 2009

James Reid wrote:

>I have one single user on one of my lists whose posts regularly (though not
>always) result in her messages coming to me as list owner with the following
>message:
>

>The attached message has been automatically discarded.
>

>As far as I can see:
>
>-          The user is sending from a subscribed address (only subscribers
>can send to the list)

This only occurs if the list's forward_auto_discards is set to Yes and
the post is from a non-member and either the posters address matches
discard_these_nonmembers or generic_nonmember_action is discard.

Thus, The address she is sending from is not a list member. It may look
like a member address but be subtly different, e.g. j.doe at example.com
or jdoe at mail.example.com where the subscribed address is
j.doe at mail.example.com, but Mailman must see this as a non-member post
to forward it to you in this way.