[Mailman-Users] Target individual list member with sub-addressing when sending?

Charles Rosenberg chuck at blazingfun.com
Tue Apr 28 08:14:18 CEST 2009

Hello all.  I am new here, but trying my best to learn as much as possible.  I searched far and wide through the Internet/FAQ and archives, but I think my question is rather unique.

My Setup:

Ubuntu 9.04 with newest Postfix and Dovcot running

The steps I took and have done are as follows:

1.     I have a list setup for a very small number of subscribers – 10 to 20 max.

3.     Only one or two addresses can post to the list.  All other mailings will be rejected.

4.     I have it setup to never show the “poster’s” address, instead using the mailing list address.

5.     In addition to number 4, I setup a special “reply-to” address where all replies should go to.

6.     Because the vast majority of the subscribers will be using their cell-phones’ built-in capability for e-mail, I found out step 5 actually won’t work for them. (Yay Japan…)

7.     Because of 6, I created a re-write rule in Postfix to force all the From: headers to be the “reply-to” address.

8.     The “reply-to” address is set to forward the e-mails to the original list “poster” inside of Postfix.

Up to this point, everything works ok.  My question is:

After receiving a message through the “reply-to” address, I want the original poster to be able to send a single message back to the “replier,” possibly answering some question.  Problem: I can’t have the “poster” know the individual address of the “replier,” nor can I have the “replier” know the direct address of the “poster.”  Would it be possible to use some sort of sub-addressing, extended addressing, plus addressing, etc. to send a message to an individual subscriber based on a “subscriber” username or something?  For example sending to Australia+KenYamaguchi at lists.seishinonline.jp would cause the e-mail to only go to the subscriber associated with “KenYamaguchi” and NOT the whole list.  This way, neither side knows the other’s “direct mail address.” Is this possible?  Thanks in advance.

chuckyrose