[Mailman-Users] Detecting Autoresponders

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Sat Aug 1 23:18:04 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 03:43:40PM -0500, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> On Jun 28, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Karl Zander wrote:
>
> >This particular autoresponder is not known to be broken.
>
> It's a bit dated, but I have a rant about broken autoresponder here:
>
>  http://goldmark.org/netrants/auto-resp/

That's quite a nice summary, IMO.

> As others have said, if an autoresponder is responding repeatedly to
> the same address in the course of a few days it is certainly behaving
> badly.  Lotus Notes and Exchange autoresponders should not be allowed
> near the Internet.

I'd rewrite that last part to:
 "Lotus Notes and poorly-setup Microsoft Exchange installations should
  not be allowed near the Internet."

(I have been known to do Exchange consultancy, but I do have a clue
regarding RFCs, mail-delivery, and amn't from the point-and-click
"set-up a Mail Server" school of practice.)

> I remove people from lists, sending a note to them and their
> postmaster saying that as long as they use broken autoresponders they
> should not join any Internet email discussion lists.

I'm not ~usually~ that mean: I tend to un-sub people, or set their
addresses to moderated: a few people don't realize how broken their
"approach" is. (I don't always see those messages: through filtering,
I attempt to ditch 'out of office' type messages.)

--
``Freedom of the press in Britain means freedom to print such of the
  proprietor's prejudices as the advertisers don't object to.''