[Mailman-Users] Load testing a mailman server

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Aug 7 09:19:01 CEST 2009

on 8/7/09 12:48 AM, Rakotomandimby Mihamina said:

>> I'm wondering if anyone can provide any ideas, insights or warnings with
>> respect to this sort of thing?
>
> I think you should firts enquire the debian and python mailing list
> managers. They could give you some statistics (CPU usage, Network
> used, what hardware,...)

We've got some information in FAQ 1.15 at <http://wiki.list.org/x/NoA9>
with regards to the largest lists that can be run with Mailman, but that
doesn't directly address the issue of tools to do actual load testing.

Myself, I tend to use the "smtpsource" and "smtpsink" tools that Wietse
Venema created (available as part of the standard postfix source
installation, although perhaps not included with binary package versions
from other sources), along with the "postal" tools written by Russ Coker
(see <http://doc.coker.com.au/projects/postal/>).

If you're going to be doing any benchmarking or load-testing, make sure
you read, understand, and follow all the various relevant FAQs in the
Mailman FAQ Wiki, especially in section 6.