[Mailman-Users] Multiple instances of Mailman on FreeBSD

Jason J. Hellenthal jasonh at DataIX.net
Thu Aug 13 01:29:20 CEST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:41:19 -0500
Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark.org> wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2009, at 3:21 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>
> > --On Wednesday, August 12, 2009 13:55:18 -0500 Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark.org
> > > wrote:
>
> >> I'm posting this to both the mailman-users list and the freebsd-ports
> >> list.  I realize that not all follow-up will make it to both lists.
>

> >> But when I do
> >>
> >>  % cd /usr/ports/mail/mailman
> >>  % sudo make -DMM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org -
> >> DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install
> >>
> >> It just installs in the default location, /usr/local/mailman
>
> > This could be a really stupid question (because I've never tried to
> > do what you're doing), but shouldn't the above line be:
> >
> > $ sudo make MM_DIR=/mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org
> >
> > In other words, don't you have to provide the *absolute* patch to
> > the install location?
>
> No. Reading the Makefile it is clear that MM_DIR is relative to $PREFIX
>
> The default setting in the Makefile is
>
>   MM_DIR?= mailman
>
> And later on there is a
>
>    MAILMANDIR=     ${PREFIX}/${MM_DIR}
>
> With MAILMANDIR being the absolute install directory.
>
> > The problem is, I'm not exactly sure *where* you want mailman to
> > install, so it's hard to be correct without more information.
>
> Mailman (under normal defaults) installs in various directories under
>
>   /usr/local/mailman
>
> The python for all of the CGIs lives in
>
>   /usr/local/mailman/Mailman
>
> and the programs that an administrator might run on the command line
> live in
>
>   /usr/local/mailmain/bin
>
> And there are various other directories for queues and logs and data
> and per list configurations and such
>
> I want to have instances installed in
>
>   /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/site1
>   /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/site2
>   /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/site3
>
> Cheers,
>
> -j
>
> --
> Jeffrey Goldberg                        http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/

Can you not just ( cp -r /usr/local/mailman /path/to/vhost/staging ) edit some of the paths and then just host it. How many of the files are you actually required to edit ?. If this will be a continual process it might be better off to rsync your master mailman directory to all the separate vhosts obviously skipping configs and list directories and then scripting out the exact changes you need to make up creation of a new vhost.

Best regards.

:wq
--
Jason J. Hellenthal