[Mailman-Users] Question about account ownership, etc.

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Aug 18 11:01:05 CEST 2009

Dana Runkle writes:

 > If something should happen to the volunteer who runs our email
 > lists and we, the remaining officers, do not have access to the
 > lists, what would Python need from us to prove ownership of said
 > email lists and to transfer administrative control of all our lists
 > to a new person?

Neither Python nor Mailman has any relation to the data in your list.
Python provides a software development environment, and Mailman
provides mailing list management and post distribution software.  This
software is distributed under "open source" licenses, so that anybody
can download and use it without further permission from Python or
Mailman (subject to certain mild restrictions on redistribution).

However, the software actually runs on somebody else's computer, and
almost certainly, that is where your data is stored as well.  To get
access to that, you need to get access to that computer.

In many cases, the computer in question is owned and managed by an ISP
rather than as somebody's personal property.  In that case you need to
find out who the ISP is, and contact them.  ISPs are a somewhat
regulated part of the telecommunications industry, but they are
responsible primarily to the person who pays them, presumably your
volunteer.  If the lists are hosted, and data stored, on a computer
owned and operated by your volunteer, you will need to deal with that
person more or less directly.

If you don't know the ISP, anybody with a little bit of network
expertise (including most Linux or Unix users) can help you trace
posts back to the distribution point.