[Mailman-Users] Mailman not automatically updating its aliases file

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Aug 24 18:42:12 CEST 2009

Mark Ratcliff wrote:

>Newlist doesn't report any errors.

If newlist doesn't report an error, and you have as you said MTA =
'Postfix' in mm_cfg.py, then newlist must be updating some aliases
file.

>As far as I can tell postfix sees the
>/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db just fine but when I add a new list the
>newlist command does not write the new aliases to the aliases file nor
>does it update the aliases.db file.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/KYCB>. It claims the aliases are
at /etc/mailman/aliases in recent RedHat. I think that this is just a
symlink to /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases or vice versa, but it's worth
a look.

>Ownership is set to mailman:mailman with group read/write perms on the
>aliases file ( I had to create this file manually ).

Have you tried running bin/genaliases? That may do something. You
shouldn't have had to create /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases. The fact
that you did says newlist is writing aliases elsewhere.

>Could this just be a bug in the RHEL5 package? I can work around this by
>just manually updating aliases, however I'd like to try to find out if
>maybe I did something wrong.

I don't think it's a bug, but RedHat relocates many things for FHS
compliance for SELinux. I think it's just a matter of finding where
things are.