[Mailman-Users] Unsubscribe, not disable

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Aug 30 02:10:15 CEST 2009

Jeff Grossman wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:05:49 -0700, "Thomas Gramstad" <thomas at ifi.uio.no>
>wrote:
>> How can I make Mailman unsubscribe bouncing addresses instead of
>> disabling them? I'm fine with the default number of days,
>> number of delivery attempts etc., I just want the final action by
>> Mailman to be unsubscribe instead of disable.
>>
>> (This ought to be simple, but I've looked through the Mailman
>> admin web pages several times, and also tried websearches,
>> without being able to find it.)
>
>Isn't that what bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings setting does?  After this
>many times of sending a you are disabled e-mail, the user is unsubscribed.

Exactly!

>> Also, is there a way to unsubscribe all the disabled addresses
>> on a given list with one single command?
>
>Not sure about that one.  But, I would imagine once you change the setting
>above, it will remove the disabled addresses.

It won't. Once a member's delivery is disabled by bounce, the number of
remaining warnings and time of last warning are recorded in the
member's bounce info, and cron/disabled will check the interval, send
a notice, decrement the number remaining and do the unsubscribe when
the number reaches zero. Changing the list's
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings after a member's delivery is disabled
has no effect on this.

But the command to immediately unsubscribe all members with delivery
disabled by bounce is

bin/list_members --nomail=bybounce LISTNAME | bin/remove_members \
  --file=- LISTNAME

you might also want to specify --nouserack and/or --noadminack on the
remove_members command. To do this for all lists, consider

#!/bin/sh
for list in `bin/list_lists --bare` ; do
   bin/list_members --nomail=bybounce $list | bin/remove_members \
    --file=- $list
done