[Mailman-Users] htdig-mailman patch(es) - blank page results only so far

Capps, John M john.m.capps at intel.com
Thu Dec 3 01:16:45 CET 2009

Hiya Mailman Users,

This list is so trafficked and since this question is mostly regarding the htdig-mailman patches, it took a big puzzle for me to actually sign up and post :)

I am running Mailman 2.1.12 with the following 2.1.12 patches applied (archiver index control/htdig integration)

http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mm/patches/444879/index.html

http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mm/patches/444884/index.html

My method of building and build results were a little rockier than I had hoped for.  I utilize FC10 systems mainly and so I wanted to make an FC12 RPM with the patches.
I found that the 'Fedora way' of building mailman involved a fairly complex set of patches already, and it would be a lot of effort to find out through  relative set of diff and patch to noodle out how to package this in a Fedora manner, so I followed this course of action:

Changed a FC10 mailman 2.1.11 spec to only patch these two patches, removing all Fedora specific patches.
Changed some symlink behavior to preserve the precious /etc/mailman link *to* a /var/lib/mailman/data/sitelist.cfg target (the FC10 makes the symlink the other direction)
Substituted a different init script (the FC10 /etc/init.d/mailman), which does an 'install' of the cron script and then a 'python mailmanctl  -s -q start' to start:

The configure options for the FC10 spec file looks like so (mmdir=/usr/lib/mailman):

./configure --libdir=%{_libdir} --prefix=%{mmdir}  --with-var-prefix=%{varmmdir}   --with-config-dir=%{configdir}  --with-lock-dir=%{lockdir}  --with-log-dir=%{logdir} \
        --with-pid-dir=%{piddir}  --with-queue-dir=%{queuedir}  --with-python=%{__python}   --with-mail-gid=%{mailgroup}  --with-cgi-id=%{cgiuser} \
        --with-cgi-gid=%{cgigroup}  --with-mailhost=localhost.localdomain  --with-urlhost=localhost.localdomain --without-permcheck

So after I got it built I had missed a few things:

The %{mmdir}/archives/htdig folder needed to be created to match my mm_cfg.py goodies:
USE_HTDIG = 1
HTDIG_HTSEARCH_PATH = '/usr/bin/htsearch'
HTDIG_RUNDIG_PATH = '/usr/bin/rundig'
HTDIG_CONF_LINK_DIR = '/var/lib/mailman/archives/htdig'
OWNERS_CAN_DELETE_THEIR_OWN_LISTS = Yes
MTA = 'Postfix'
SHORTCUT_ICON = 'xxxxx.png'
WEB_HEADER_COLOR = '#3399FF'

Then I ran this to create indices (and htdig dbs/symlinks):
#!/bin/bash
LISTS=`ls /var/lib/mailman/lists`
for list in ${LISTS[@]};do
   /usr/lib/mailman/bin/arch $list
done

I made a symlink from /var/www/htdig where FC10 puts htdig (3.2.0-0.3.b6.fc10) common files /usr/share/htdig and added to my VirtualHost Apache definition:
Alias /htdig/ /usr/share/htdig/

Then ran '/usr/bin/python -v /usr/lib/mailman/cron/nightly_htdig'  and great, I was up and had a per list (even private) search form with all my search fields available.

I then went to do a search and all I got back was a blank page, no errors in the mailman log nor the Apache error log.

I tried passing mail through a public and private list to see if that would 'prime the pump' as it were, but to no avail.

Greatly appreciate any insight the group can offer here!

Thanks!
Jeremy Capps