[Mailman-Users] Automatic rejection on message size?

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Thu Dec 10 21:52:24 CET 2009

Hello -
  I've scoured the wiki, FAQ, and mailing list archives but perhaps
I'm not using the right keywords... I'm looking to have Mailman
(2.1.9) automatically reject messages that exceed our pre-set size
limitation.

  Why?  We have a large number of users who cut/paste debug logs, code
snippets, SVN output, and all manner of text into their messages.
These are NOT attachments; they're text in the message body that is
not MIME encoded.  I manage two dozen or so lists, and every day I get
at least 10 moderated messages in my to-be-moderated queues that are
all there because of size overruns.  This gets really tedious, since
all I do is "Reject" them with a message about their post exceeding
the size limit.

  I see no obvious way that I can set a list (or the whole system, for
that matter) to auto-reject with a message based on size of the
message.  It would actually seem to me that this would be a desirable
setting to have overall - is there a recipe for modifying the filter/
actions so that I can make this happen?  I'm not a python wizard (or
even neophyte) and I have very little understanding of the internals
of Mailman at this point, so I'd kindly ask that any hints someone has
to offer could be worded in a way that is approachable by a skilled
*NIX admin but not a developer or Mailman wizard.  :-)  Thanks!

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/