[Mailman-Users] Meta: bringing along the newcomers

Geoff Shang Geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri Dec 18 14:31:23 CET 2009

Hi,

Excuse the top-posting. :)

When I first had to look at the FAQs and subscribe to this list to get some
problems sorted, there were two FAQs.  There may will still be.  It appeared
to me that the much shorter one was by far the more visible, and I only
found the main WIKI-based FAQ when I went to look in the WIKI, which seemed
to me an obvious thing to do but might not to people less familiar with open
source projects and their methodologies.

I think that two things would cut down on the "see the FAQ" type questions:

1.  Get rid of the non-WIKI FAQ, merging any content that's not already in
the WIKI, then point everyone there.  The WIKI FAQ is an excellent resource,
and I'm sure many people would find the answers to their questions if they
knew to look there.

2.  In the places where this list is mentioned, make it clear that this
list, which is given as the main support address for Mailman, is a mailing
list, that it's a moderated list so posts may take a day or two to be sent,
and that we cannot reset your password for you or other types of things that
specific hosting providers need to do.  A comment about the various forks of
Mailman which can't really be supported might also be a good idea.

Just my 2c as a person who's come on board here in the past couple of
months.

Geoff.