[Mailman-Users] Code comments

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Dec 18 18:57:26 CET 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 12:27 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> I've worked with code in many languages that is so cryptically
> commented, with variable names that were so non-descriptive (Dan
> Bernstein's qmail code comes to mind) as to be totally useless if one
> wanted to look under the hood for help.  Mailman code is quite the
> opposite - well organized with copious comments which can be very
> helpful if one knows even a little about the program structure.  Even if
> you don't grok python, or OO programming, there's a lot to be learned
> here.

Thanks!  Mailman 3 should be even better.  I'm a huge fan of doctests (not exclusive to unittests, but highly favored) so there should be fairly comprehensive narratives for all the component parts.  Soon I'll be fleshing out some higher level overview type documentation too.  And because it's all doctest/sphinx, you can generate nice HTML, which I try to do when I release new versions.

-Barry