[Mailman-Users] Hello List

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Fri Dec 18 20:35:30 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 11:00 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Just to be clear, the presence or absence of an email address in the
> owner or moderator attributes of a list has nothing to do with who can
> do what. It only controls where notices are sent and what appears in
> web page footers.
>
> It is quite possible to set a moderator password without adding any
> addresses to 'moderator', and anyone who knows that password can post
> an Approved: or Urgent: message and log in to the admindb page.

I'm aware of this, but it does bring up another question, which, in my
own cowardly way, I was trying to avoid dealing with ;-/

I assume that if one sets up a new list and doesn't set a moderator
password, then only the administrator can use an
"Approved:" [pseudo]header and there's no default moderator password.
If one sets up a moderator password then either will work.  I (naively)
assumed that deleting all moderator email addresses _might_ thereby
render the moderator password ineffective, but in my guts, I knew it
probably wasn't so.

Is there any way to nullify the moderator password altogether?  Does
submitting the passwords page with an empty field for the mod pw
accomplish this?

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The difference between |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |  a duck is because one  |      available at