[Mailman-Users] Mailman < > forum ?

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Mon Dec 21 15:52:25 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 06:49:44PM +1100, John Fitzsimons wrote:
> Are there currently *any* web forum(s) that enable forum/mailman
> mirroring ? In other words a Mailman email going to a web forum and
> vica versa ?

Not quite forum, but there's a start in processing/handling email via
Wordpress: it sort of works most of the time in the few cases where
I'm using that (although in those cases, that's soon to change to
generating the content in $CMS, and thence mailing via the CMS'd
version).

The Wordpress thingy turns email -> database record(s), from which it
ought to be moderately easy to map those fields to appropriate ones
for the forum.

Perhaps use Mailman -> Wordpress -> [script] Forum, or maybe have a
look at the Wordpress importer, and adapt that to suit the fields for
your forum database. Most of that sort of thing (forums, wordpress)
uses pretty standard approaches, IME.

For getting forum -> list, it ought to be quite trivial to subscribe
the list to the forum's tracking wotsit, although, then you're
reproducing content (with the originating author's consent?), and
there's no guarantee in avoid duplication.

I can't really think of a way to maintain an up-to date email thread
in a forum, allowing posting to both; although, an afterthought may be
to use NNTP for both... but that's quite perverse.

(Do forum softwares still support NNTP feeds, or does one need to use
"RSS" or "XML" or one of those other new-fangled things to import
content?)

Others may have better 'solutions'.

--
``I speak better English than this villain Bush.''
  (Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf, attrib.)