[Mailman-Users] Site administrative broadcast to all lists and all list members - server wide

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Mon Dec 21 20:23:36 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 11:49 -0700, Brandon Rodak wrote:
> What I find a but confusing is how to specify an "Urgent" header.  Does this
> person mean to say place "Urgent" in the subject line with the Admin
> password?  In other words, I am not sure how to specify or manipulate a
> message's "header" with Mailman.

This is from the code comments in the file CalcRecips.py.

    # Support for urgent messages, which bypasses digests and disabled
    # delivery and forces an immediate delivery to all members Right Now.  We
    # are specifically /not/ allowing the site admins password to work here
    # because we want to discourage the practice of sending the site admin
    # password through email in the clear. (see also Approve.py)

I would assume, from this, that the mechanism is the same as for an
"Approved:" header or pseudo-header.  If you have a mail program that
can add arbitrary headers then you can add a true mail header, with
"Urgent: some_password".  If your mail program won't do this, you can
use a pseudo-header by putting "Urgent: password" as the very first line
in a post to the list ('password' is either the admin or moderator
password.  There must be no lines above this pseudo-header in the email
body, and it must be left-justified.

--
Lindsay Haisley       |  "We are all broken  |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |   toasters, but we   |      available at