[Mailman-Users] Replying to digests

Clare Redstone clare at catspaw.plus.com
Tue Dec 29 23:46:30 CET 2009

Thanks for this very helpful reply, Mark.

I'm going to follow your advice and mainly aim at training members. I do
want to be flexible about this though: some infrequent posters have some
very good things to say that will help us all. But they're also probably
more likely to be a bit computer-fearful and want digests because busy
inboxes confound them but not be aware of editing subject and body. I really
don't want to be so strict that I frighten them off posting.

So:

Step 1a, filtering "digest" from headers will pick up most and I'll send
those back to members to clean up for themselves. (But sometimes do what I
can myself-see below.)

Step 1b, I'll set default as MIME which will help in some cases, depending
on MUA.

Step 2, set repeat offenders to moderate, or if it's a widespread problem,
every now and then check through the subscriber list and set all digest
people to moderate.

I might exceptionally see if I can edit and resend messages when I think
it's particularly worth it and the sender likely to be flummoxed by being
asked to clean and resend. I'm having trouble following the instructions
though.

I use Outlook 2007 on Windows XP so don't have Mutt.

>> What you can do depends on your MUA. I do the
following occasionally (when a quoted digest is held for size). I have
admin_immed_notify set to yes, so I receive a notice containing the
post as part 2 of 3 message parts. First, I discard the original held
message. Then, using Mutt, I open the notice and then the
message/rfc822 part containing the post, edit it...<<

In Outlook, I get an email telling me there's a message waiting for
authorisation, with 2 attachments: one called by the post subject and the
other called "confirm 2ff72..." long string of numbers/letters.

Test 1. "Subject" is the actual rogue post. I can use reply or forward, edit
the message and address it to the list. I changed options to send in plain
text, wrote approved: password at the top of the body and, just below that,
changed the line "To: testlist at ..." to "Resent-To: testlist@ ..."

The message made it through OK, but appears to be from me instead of from
the original sender, and has the headers written at the top of the body of
the message in the same way any replied to or forwarded email would have
(albeit changed to Resent-To.)

So I've got it working in part and this will do if there isn't a
straightforward solution. The "approved" bit worked and I could edit the
message, but how do I make a "Resent-To" instead of a "Forward?"

Which is what I think you mean by:
 >>and then 'bounce' it
to the list. 'Bounce' is Mutt's term for resending the original
message to additional recipients. This is not forwarding; it is
resending with the original headers. Not all MUAs can do this.<<

Is it possible in Outlook?

Another odd thing is that although it's been approved (via email) and
received by list members, the original post is still sitting in the admin
queue on the web interface. So I'll need to remember to delete it manually.

One of the wiki pages you linked to, about editing messages before approving
them (thank you, very helpful) says,

>>If this feature is not available in your MUA, you can still post the
edited message directly if you are on a
machine with an MTA, e.g., sendmail, etc., by saving the edited message in a
file and giving a command
similar to the following:
/path/to/sendmail list at example.com < edited_message_file<<

I haven't a clue what any of that means so guess it's beyond me.

Thanks for the other links too. I'll explore them but after a quick read, I
think it's likely to be beyond me. Good advice too about server space being
so cheap compared with the amount of time I could spend tidying up digests
and archives.

Thank you again for such a helpful reply. Any solutions getting Resent-To
(Bounce?) to work through Outlook?

Clare