[Mailman-Users] I'm getting all password reminder bounces

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 2 17:08:03 CET 2009

Kirk Strauser wrote:

>I'm using Mailman 2.1.11 with Postfix 2.5.6 on FreeBSD 7.1.  Each
>month (roughly since upgrading from 2.1.10), I've been getting all of
>the monthly password reminder bounce messages in my own inbox.  I've
>set VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes in mm_cfg.py, and confirmed that the
>bounces are coming into Mailman and then being re-sent to me.

Right. That changed in 2.1.11.

>At this point, I really don't know what else to look at.  I don't have
>so many users that I can't manually unsubscribe them, but I'd *much*
>prefer to let Mailman handle it.  What debugging or config or other
>information can I provide?

The problem is password reminders are sent from the site list. This is
the case because the reminder is for all lists in the domain, not for
a single list.

In the past, the bounce would return to the site list -bounces address
where it would be ignored because the bouncing address was not a
member of the site list.

There were also other issues relating to bounces of list owner
notifications sent from the site list.

Thus, handling of site list bounces changed in 2.1.10 and again in
2.1.11 and now all site list bounces are just sent to the site list
owner.

Regarding password reminders, assuming bounce processing is set
appropriately for the regular lists, what happens is a list member
sets delivery off and ultimately forgets about the list. Then the
member address dies and the monthly password reminder bounces. In the
past, this bounce was effectively ignored, and the reminders continued
to be sent and bounce forever.

Now, at least you see the bounces and the appropriate thing to do is
manually remove them from the list(s) or turn on their list delivery
so the list's bounce processing will remove them. Once you do this for
the initial batch you see after upgrading to 2.1.11+, you will see
very few going forward.

For more information, read the blocks of comments in the definitions of
the __init__() and _dispose() methods in Mailman/Queue/BounceRunner.py.