[Mailman-Users] Moving Lists... my final challenge

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 11 18:34:24 CET 2009

Jeff Bernier wrote:

>Is it possible to take these older archives and move them over to be added to the archives of the current lists on the new system? It is not a must-have, but would be nice.

Get the archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox files from the old
server.

Stop Mailman on the new server.

Combine the old archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox files with
the new archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox files, e.g.

  cat old.mbox new.mbox > tmpfile
  cp tmpfile new.mbox

where old.mbox is the archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox from
the old server and new.mbox is
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox on the current server.

Then run

  bin/arch --wipe LISTNAME

to rebuild the pipermail archive on the new server from the
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox file.

After doing this for each moved list, start Mailman.