[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.9 - Fedora 8 - upgrade

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Feb 14 08:27:09 CET 2009

on 2/13/09 1:12 PM, Dragos Leahu said:

> 1. Which is the best way to upgrade Mailman to a newer version (the
> latest if possible) without taking any risk?

All upgrades carry a certain measure of risk.  If you want absolute zero
risk, then pull the power cord, toss the machine into an old car, and
then take the old car to be crushed and melted down for scrap metal.

Failing that, the least risky upgrade procedure would probably be to get
the latest version of the binary package for your platform.  If you want
to go that route, you need to talk to the people who prepare those
packages -- we provide only source code.

If you decide to go this direction, then any support questions you have
that relate to the binary package should first be directed to the
maintainers of that binary package.

> 2. Another issue: even if I have set Mailman (for a certain list) to
> receive messages only from the list's members and to automatically
> discard any other messages (to that list) there still are a very few
> (2 or 3 in a couple of months) messages (spam actually) that did pass
> through to the list. What should I do in order to prevent this from
> ever happening again?

Go to the FAQ Wiki page at
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Frequently+Asked+Questions> and search
for "spoof-proof".

> I must say I am a novice administrator of Mailman.

For any question you've got, I'd suggest going first to the FAQ Wiki
(mentioned above), and see the other documentation at
<http://www.list.org/docs.html>.  Then search the archives of the list,
in accordance to FAQ 1.18 at
<http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030520>.

After doing that, if you still have questions, then feel free to post
them here.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out