[Mailman-Users] Uncaught Bounce Notification

Ed's Shop shop at justbrits.com
Sun Feb 15 02:23:44 CET 2009

*****
Grant Taylor wrote:

>On 02/13/2009 07:29 PM, Jeff Grossman wrote:
>> I received a uncaught bounce notification from one of my lists today.
>>  The bounce looks pretty normal, and figured it should have been
>> caught by the bounce system.  How do I report bounce formats that did
>> not get caught by the bounce system?
>
>Though it would be nice for Mailman to recognize this bounce format and
>automatically process it, I am questioning if this particular bounce
>should be acted upon or not.

That question hinges on whether or not the bounce should be considered
a permanent or a temporary failure. The bounce itself says "This is a
permanent error."

>Seeing as how this bounce was generated because the recipient was over
>quota "User's Disk Quota Exceeded", I wonder what the appropriate thing
>to do is.  This is (IMHO) *very* likely to be a transient / temporary
>error.

I disagree. I think it is likely to be an abandoned account, but in any
case, with default bounce processing settings, The user's delivery
won't be disabled until a bounce like this is received on 5 separate
days.

>As such I'm not sure that I would want to act on this particular
>error.  However if a bunch of these errors happened, then I might want
>to take action.
>
>So I'm not sure if this is where the number of bounces (before something
>is done) comes in to play, or what.  Just something to think about.

Exactly.

Also note that the message also said "Your message totalled  23 Kbytes.
However a small (< 1Kb) message will be delivered should
you wish to inform your recipient you tried to email."

So probably when we disable the user's delivery after 5 days of
bounces, the disabled notice we send to the user might be accepted,
and with default settings, the user won't be unsubscribed until 3
weeks and two more notices later.

Granted, this could be a user on an extended vacation (over a month),
but in that case, ultimately unsubscribing the user is easy to reverse
and is small penalty for the user's forgetting to disable list
delivery.

That BOUNCE(s) used to drive me NUTS until I REALLY put my
foot down AFTER contacting each Lister and finding out what-was-what and
then or THIRD occurrence (each) I banned them which
DID 'get their attention' !!! -:)

At the very beginning of the 1st gent causing it, I also was REALLY
'wondering' and was actually going to ask the same sort of thing as
Jeff had.

Investigate, investigate, investigate.   -:)

Ed