[Mailman-Users] Tracing a disappearing 'post'

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Wed Feb 18 16:50:43 CET 2009

On 9 Feb 2009 at 19:32, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Bernie Cosell wrote:
>
> >A user on one of the lists here complained that her posts weren't getting
> >through.  I looked at the sendmail log and I see her post making it to
> >the "| ...mailman  post LIST", but then the message disappeared.  I've
> >looked and it is, indeed, not in the list archives.

> If the message was discarded by Mailman, that fact should be logged in
> Mailman's vette log.

At the moment, I can't *find* the vette log..:o).  I see the calls in the
code to syslog('vette',...) and from what I can tell the syslog is
running -- the sysadmin tells me that it is running rsyslog with the
simple rule:
   *.*    @MAINLOGSYSTEM
and other logging from that system seems to work, but I can't find any
mailman stuff...   Still looking..:o)

BUT:

> Note that given what you've said about the list configuration, I think
> the most likely thing is Content filtering is on, text/html is
> filtered (not in pass_mime_types) and filter_action is discard so her
> text/html post is filtered to empty and discarded.

that solved it!  The problem was that the user had some sort of AVG email
scanner that in the course of munging the MIME machinery to include a
"Scanned and found virus-free" section [what a useless, stupid bit of
software *THAT* is!] it totally hosed the format.  Having them undo the
email scanning fixed the problem.

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA