[Mailman-Users] Setting a bind address for SMTP delivery

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Thu Feb 26 05:28:06 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a way to set the address
that mailman binds to when sending SMTP.
Here's the background:

I'm using postfix as a MTA.  When postfix receives
mail containing addresses that have no @domain
part, and the mail is sent from the local box,
it automatically adds @whateverthelocaldomainis
to the end of all header and envelope addresses.

This causes a problem with mailman, because
mailman is sending mail from the local box
any addresses that come in without @domain
on the end (for whatever reason) gets rewritten
when mailman re-sends the mail to the list.

There's various ways around the problem,
ways to keep postfix from re-writing the addresses.
I think the simplest would be if I could
control the address from which mailman sends
it's mail, say if mailman binds to 127.0.0.2
instead of 127.0.0.1 when it sends it's mail.
But I don't see a knob I can frob to control
this.  (Postfix seems to prefer to base it's
address re-writing decision on the IP of
the SMTP client.)

At the moment I happen to be running
Debian etch, which has a 2.1 based
mailman version.  I soon hope to be