[Mailman-Users] Setting a bind address for SMTP delivery

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Thu Feb 26 06:53:05 CET 2009

On 02/25/2009 11:07:46 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> on 2/25/09 10:28 PM, Karl O. Pinc said:
>
>> This causes a problem with mailman, because
>> mailman is sending mail from the local box
>> any addresses that come in without @domain
>> on the end (for whatever reason) gets rewritten
>> when mailman re-sends the mail to the list.
>
> This is a problem to fix in your MTA, before the message ever gets to
> Mailman.  Your MTA should be ensuring that all addresses are properly
> fully qualified, either when it reads the message from the sender, or
> after the sender has sent the message and it does internal processing.
>
> This really isn't a problem that can be solved from within Mailman.

I agree, but the problem is that an MTA shouldn't be re-writing
addresses in mail that it receives from external sources,
that is, the Internet.  Mail sent from a _local_ source
should be re-written by the MTA to be properly fully qualified.
So, I need to figure out how to pretend that mail re-sent
by Mailman is mail that is, effectively, from an external
source.   That means Mailman needs to do something different
so the MTA can distinguish the mail Mailman sends from "
regular" mail sent locally from the box.

Or do you think that an MTA should re-write all addresses
and fully qualify them with the local domain,
regardless of whether the mail was received from
the Internet for delivery to a local user?
I don't mean to put words in your mouth but that
seems to be the only alternative.

Somebody else out there is mis-behaving and I've
got to deal with the consequences.

It would be easiest to tell the Postfix MTA
that the mail that Mailman sends is not of local
origin if Mailman could be set to bind to a
particular IP when sending mail via SMTP.

Thanks for the reply.

Karl <kop at meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein