[Mailman-Users] Setting a bind address for SMTP delivery

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Thu Feb 26 08:25:39 CET 2009

On 02/26/2009 12:29:33 AM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> on 2/25/09 11:53 PM, Karl O. Pinc said:
>
>> Or do you think that an MTA should re-write all addresses
>> and fully qualify them with the local domain,
>> regardless of whether the mail was received from
>> the Internet for delivery to a local user?
>> I don't mean to put words in your mouth but that
>> seems to be the only alternative.
>
> That's not the only solution to this problem, but most of the time it
> is the simplest and easiest to implement.  If you always use
> fully-qualified names across the board, then there can't ever be any
> question of whether or not something belongs in one place or another.

Tacking my domain name on somebody else's email address
puts it in the wrong place.  Better to leave it alone.
The Postfix author seem to agree.  Postfix has
changed so that the default is to rewrites only the mail sent
by local users.  For the rationale and further detail see:
http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#william

You are correct, there is no right answer.  I am able to
configure Postfis so that Mailman mail is not rewritten,
but it would be more straightforward if Mailman
had another knob to frob.  I will see what happens
and if there are too many problems then I'll
change the rewriting rules.

(I'd tend to favor bouncing such incoming email.  But
given the application that's not an option.)

Thank you for the input. It has been helpful.

Karl <kop at meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein

P.S.  FYI.  I'm pretty confidant it's Microsoft
software that's causing this headache, although
I couldn't say whether it's Outlook or Exchange.