[Mailman-Users] mailman installation and domains - confused

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 26 16:27:44 CET 2009

Oliver Glueck wrote:

>thanks.
>I have done all changes, but If I sent an email to a list,
>I get an error message, because 'user unknown':
>
>Feb 26 12:37:13 mail fetchmail[6236]: Nachricht
>about-dummy at www.company.de:1 von 1 wird gelesen (2783 Bytes)
>(Log-Meldung unvollständig)
>Feb 26 12:37:13 mail fetchmail[6236]: SMTP-Fehler: 550 5.1.1
><about-dummy at localhost>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
>local recipient table
>
>Why??
>
>How can tell the server mail, that about-dummy at localhost exists, without use
>postfix/virtual?

It looks like fetchmail is trying to deliver to Postfix and Postfix is
replying

550 5.1.1 <about-dummy at localhost>: Recipient address rejected: User
unknown in local recipient table

This has nothing to do with virtual maps because it is looking locally
for the address. It says there is no local alias for about-dummy.

Have you reloaded Postfix since you added
hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases to alias_maps in main.cf?

Are the aliases actually in /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases and is
/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases.db up to date? If not, try running
Mailman's bin/genaliases.