[Mailman-Users] List Distribution Sequence Confusion

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 1 20:19:57 CET 2009

I am having a problem when mailman (2.1.9) tries to distribute mail. My
main problem is that I do not understand what it is doing. I do not have
a static IP and I have to relay outgoing mail through my ISP's server.
Thus there was a lot of fudging of the configuration to make it work
thanks to help from this list. When I try to send mail to a list it
seems to be trying to mail it to listname-bounces at fakehost.mydomain.com.
As result I get this this message from my ISP's server, not unexpectedly:

550 [PERMFAIL] destination not valid within DNS (in reply to RCPT TO
command))

I don't understand why it is sending mail there instead of to the
members of the list. What am I doing wrong?

FWIW, this was a working system prior to upgrading my Mandriva OS to
2008.1 so lots of things were changed. I can't say what specifically so
this is almost like starting from scratch even though I copied all the
config files from the working system.

Thanks.