[Mailman-Users] Automatic bounce processing; listname-bounces vs. listname-bounces+XXXX

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Jan 2 08:27:10 CET 2009

on 1/1/09 9:30 AM, John Wesley Simpson Hibbs said:

> Our mailing lists had been processing bounces correctly for quite some
> time.
>
> For some reason though, this has stopped functioning properly.
>
> Bounces were coming back to list-bounces+XXXX, and are now coming back
> to list-bounces, without the XXXX.
>
> The setting "Should Mailman perform automatic bounce processing?" is set
> to yes.

Do you run your own MTA to transmit your messages, or is that service
provided by someone else.  This smells to me like someone somewhere made
some changes on the MTA to strip VERP-style "plus" addressing, and that
may have borked your mailing lists.

If you run your own mail server, check to see if there have been any
recent changes made on the MTA.  Check the logs of the MTA from both
before the change and after the change, to see what the effect is.

If you don't run your own mail server, you'll need to contact the people
that do to get them to do this analysis for you.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out