[Mailman-Users] Warnings from senddigests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 4 19:03:53 CET 2009

Jesper Dybdal wrote:

>The only strange thing I now notice is that even if the digest consists
>of messages that were all originally in iso-8859-1 encoding, the digest
>is in usascii, with question marks substituted for non-usascii
>characters.  Is it necessary to use MIME digests in order to get
>non-usascii characters correct?

The digests are prepared in the list's preferred language. This affects
which masthead.txt template is used and the translation of i18n
strings.

It also affects the character set used for the plain format digest
which is 'us-ascii' if the list's preferred language is English. If
the list's preferred language is Danish, the character set used will
be iso-8859-1, but of course all the non-message text will be Danish
too.

As you suggest, the messages in the MIME format digest are in their
original character sets, so this is not an issue there.

It is possible to change the character set for English to iso-8859-1,
by putting

add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'iso-8859-1', 'ltr')

in mm_cfg.py. As far as I know, no problems result from doing this.