[Mailman-Users] Can the auto-discard notification be changed?

Roger Erens roger.erens at e-s-c.biz
Fri Jan 9 15:17:20 CET 2009

Hi,

Sorry if what I'm asking for is already possible, but I couldn't find it
in the archives.

There's a setting that messages sent to a mailing-list by non-members
are auto-discarded. In addition, these auto-discarded messages can still
be sent to the mailing-list administrator.

However, the message is only preceded by a simple

"The attached message has been automatically discarded."

line. It took me quite some time to figure out which application/system
did the discarding (is it my anti-virus software on my PC, anti-spam
software on my ISP's mail server, or ...?).

Can the line that precedes the message be changed to something like

"The attached message has been automatically discarded by the mailman
instance that manages the mailing list <mailing list name>. The reason
it is auto-discarded is: 'Post by non-member to a members-only list'"

(much more like the message when a post is being held for moderation).

Maybe a nice-to-have would be the ability for a list administrator to
edit such lines him/herself.

Cheers,

Roger