[Mailman-Users] max_message_size & scrubbing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 15 07:33:56 CET 2009

Rich Winkel wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:15:10PM -0600, Rich Winkel wrote:
>> Is the max_message_size test applied before or after attachment
>> scrubbing?
>It seems the answer is "before" which seems kinda pointless.
>Is there a way to do this test after the attachments are scrubbed?
>Also the attachment (named "memo.pdf") was saved with extension ".obj"
>which I guess was a result of the generic mime-type (octet-stream).  Maybe
>if the mime-type is octet-stream the extension should be copied
>from the filename?

If you want to use the extension from the file name, set

in mm_cfg.py. You may also be interested in the
SCRUBBER_DONT_USE_ATTACHMENT_FILENAME setting. See the comments about
both these in Defaults.py.

If you have set the list's scrub_nondigest setting to Yes and you want
the message scrubbed before checking for too big (and other
miscellaneous holds), see the post at
except the handler you want to move in the pipeline is 'Scrubber'
instead of (or in addition to) 'MimeDel'.