[Mailman-Users] How to manually get a list of passwords for all members to be sent to the administration

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 19 22:24:51 CET 2009

Grant Taylor wrote:

>I was referring to the ""packing of information that could possibly be
>used by both the command line (bin/add_members) and the web interface.
>I figured it would be trivial to extend one tool, but would the
>extension carry over to another tool.

Good point. Unfortunately, the current implementation doesn't lend
itself to that. While each tool (admin mass subscribe, bin/add_members
and bin/sync_members) that does bulk adds currently uses a common
function to parse the input into name and address, that function is
part of the Python email library and would have to be replaced by some
other, possibly Mailman specific, function to handle the password.
Further, the parsing and resultant passing of the parsed values is
done in the tool, not in the underlying method which adds the member,
so each tool would have to be modified individually anyway.

Of course, it this were to be done, there should be a common syntax for
optionally adding the password information.