[Mailman-Users] non-subscriber managed to post to a subscriber onlylist

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Mon Jan 26 22:46:39 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 13:26 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> If that isn't the answer, then it is possible that, as Lindsay
> suggests, the post contained an Approved: header with the list admin
> or moderator password.

Mark's answer is probably more likely than mine.  I was in the process
of reading Mailman code to see exactly which headers are examined for
the subscribed member address, and Mark, who probably has the code
committed to memory :-) beat me to the punch.

Spammers play fast and lose with addresses.  It's very possible that one
of your subscribers has a virally infected box which harvests email
addresses on inbound email and sends them on to collection points.  It's
also conceivable that, given that we know that this happens regularly,
there are viral engines out there, or spamming engines, that specialize
in spoofing Mailman lists.  Some of the stuff I see coming in that gets
shoved into moderation _looks_ as if people are trying to figure out how
to game the list.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The difference between |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |  a duck is because one  |      available at