[Mailman-Users] non-subscriber managed to post to a subscriberonly list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 26 23:03:46 CET 2009

Steve Lindemann wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> All the headers of the spam post. In a default installation, if any of
>> From:, Reply-To: or Sender: headers or the envelope sender as
>> reflected in the Unix From or Return-Path: header contains a member
>> address, the post will be deemed from that member.
>>
>> Find the spam posts in archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox.
>> The headers there should reflect the original except maybe for
>>
>> If that isn't the answer, then it is possible that, as Lindsay
>> suggests, the post contained an Approved: header with the list admin
>> or moderator password.
>
>Rechecked the delivered message header and found the list bounces
>address in the Sender: and Return-Path: headers, but I thought that was
>normal on the delivered message.

Right. That's why you have to look at the raw archive mbox file (not
the html archive or the periodic .txt or .txt.gz file). That's the
only place that will have the original envelope sender in the "From "
separator and the original Sender:.

>I didn't think the <LIST>-bounces address was considered a member of the
>list...  is it?

No, but that header got added in outgoing message processing. It isn't
the Sender:/envelope sender that got checked for list membership.