[Mailman-Users] Linux Preferred?

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Thu Jan 29 04:34:54 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 09:07 -0600, Tim Ferguson wrote:
> Is there a preferred flavor of Linux that Mailman seems to work and
> install the best with?  I'm trying Ubuntu, but the apt-get feature is
> getting hung up on trying to find the repositories and can't, so,
> until I get that fixed I just thought I'd ask.

I'm running Mailman on two servers which are running Gentoo Linux, and
everything works just fine.

Basically, any distribution worth its salt should be OK.  Almost by
definition a "Linux distribution" is (among other things) an open source
support network.  Any package or build which becomes part of the
official distribution is, by virtue of its inclusion in the
distribution, configured to 'just work'.  If it doesn't work, you, or
someone, has already, or will soon file a bug against the package and
the maintainer of the package will fix it.  That's the way these things
work.

The requirements for running Mailman aren't particularly strenuous -
Python, a few libraries, a standard Linux FSH, and perhaps one or two
other pretty standard things.  Any dependencies should be handled by the
distribution's package management system, which is SOP for all Linux
distributions.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "In an open world,    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    who needs Windows  |      available at