[Mailman-Users] Moving a List

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Fri Jan 30 17:14:46 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:59:06AM -0500, Jeff Bernier wrote:
> I am retiring an older system running Mailman, and I would like to
> move one of its lists to our shiny new server. I have seen
> instructions posted for moving all lists from one system to another,
> but I want to move just one list to the new server already running
> other lists.
>
> Can someone tell me how this is done? I have no real experience
> working with Mailman... so go easy on me.

There's a FAQ entry or two on this, but the short of it is to copy the
data from $OLD_SERVER to $NEW_SERVER, and then fix-up.

I've not noticed anything too odd between slight versions, although it's
something to look out for.

For copying, I tend to use rsync.

As for fix-up, fix_url and sorting out archives (if applicable) should
be done. Perhaps also redirects (http & email) on $OLD_SERVER to
$NEW_SERVER.

--
``Any person who knowingly causes a nuclear weapon test explosion
  or any other nuclear explosion is guilty of an offence....''