[Mailman-Users] Mailman and virtual domains...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 9 23:55:23 CEST 2009

Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 7/9/2009 1:41 PM, Taylor, Grant wrote:
>> Is it possible to specify the URL at list creation time?  (I'm creating
>> lists with newlist.)
>
> It looks like I can use pass command line options to newlist to create
> the list under the correct virtual domain.
>
> My problem was stemming from the fact that I was running newlist with
> out any parameters and filling in the questions interactively.
>
> Perhaps the interactive questions need to be extended?

It looks like you've found answers to most of your questions, but to
summarize, assuming you have the requisite add_virtualhost() directives,
when creating a list from the web, it gets created in the domain of the
url used to access the create page.

When creating a list via newlist, there are a couple of ways to specify
other than DEFAULT_(URL|EMAIL)_host for the list domain. See below.

The domain of an existing list or lists can be changed by running fix_url
under withlist.

The -u/--urlhost and -e/--emailhost options are relatively recent
additions to newlist. The existing interactive dialog wasn't changed when
these were added for backwards compatibility reasons.

In the past, and still, you can specify the domain for a list by
specifying the listname as LISTNAME at WEB_HOST. This is the same as
specifying the list name as LISTNAME together with the --urlhost=WEB_HOST
option. Note that this can be confusing because LISTNAME at WEB_HOST is not
necessarily the list posting address which is LISTNAME at EMAIL_HOST. This is
explained in the help for newlist.