[Mailman-Users] digests/Python/2.1.12 upgrade

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jul 18 22:18:11 CEST 2009

Christopher Adams wrote:

>I just upgraded to Mailman 2.1.12. I noticed that the digests are not
>going out. When I run the /bin/senddigests script manually, it goes
>through all list digest mailboxes and I get this message:
>List: mylistnamer: problem processing
>decoding Unicode is not supported
>If I try to generate a specific list digest from the admin interface,
>it results in the "You've Hit a Bug" message.
>I have read some about possible reasons for this error and it seems to
>point to Python.
>I am running RedHat ES 3 and Python 2.5. There is a plan to move to a
>new server with a newer OS, but for the short-term I am wondering if
>this is a Python issue and if Python should be upgraded. The Mailman
>wiki says:
> It is highly recommended that you upgrade to the latest patch release
>of one of the following:
>    * Python 2.4
>    * Python 2.5
>For now, we recommend using Python 2.5.2.
>Can someone verify whether this is a Python issue and will an upgrade
>to 2.5.2 make a difference. Of course, I'm not sure Python 2.5 is
>really designed to run on RH ES 3, but it has been doing fine up til

There is an issue with Mailman 2.1.12 and some versions of the Python
email package. This is mentioned in the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/pYA9> in the "Update - March 2009:" paragraph
including a link to a patch to Python's email/Charset.py module that
will fix it.

However, I think this problem only occurs with email version 3.0.2
which only shipped with Python 2.4.4 through 2.4.6. Python 2.5 shipped
with email 4.0.1 which I don't think has this specific issue.

Are you sure your Mailman is using Python 2.5? Do you also have python
2.4 libraries on your system?

In any case, there should be a traceback from the "we hit a bug" error
in Mailman's error log. What is that?