[Mailman-Users] bug error when subscribing through web afterMailman 2.1.12 upgrade

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 23 02:50:42 CEST 2009

Christopher Adams wrote:

>Since upgrading to version 2.1.12, I have experienced a number of
>errors that have resulted in a "You've Hit a Bug". So far, I have been
>able to patch things up. The latest occurs when a user attempts to
>subscribe from the web. Here is the error log information:
>
>admin(9559): [----- Mailman Version: 2.1.12 -----]
>admin(9559): [----- Traceback ------]
>admin(9559): Traceback (most recent call last):
>admin(9559):   File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 112, in run_main
>admin(9559):     main()
>admin(9559):   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py",
>line 97, in main
>admin(9559):     process_form(mlist, doc, cgidata, language)
>admin(9559):   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py",
>line 177, in process_form
>admin(9559):     mlist.AddMember(userdesc, remote)

Here in the traceback, the subscribe CGI is calling the list object's
AddMember method to add the member

>admin(9559):   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line
>894, in AddMember
>admin(9559):     listinfo_url = self.getScriptUrl('listinfo', absolute=1)

Then within the AddMember method in
/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py, the above line calls the
list's getScriptUrl method which triggers the exception below saying
the list object has no getScriptUrl method.

There are two things seriously wrong here:

1) In the 2.1.12 released MailList.py, there is no line containing the
name 'listinfo_url' anywhere in the module

2) the 'getScriptUrl' list method doesn't exist, thus the exception.
The method's name is 'GetScriptURL'.

>admin(9559):   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line
>146, in __getattr__
>admin(9559):     raise AttributeError, name
>admin(9559): AttributeError: getScriptUrl

So, the question here is where did this MailList.py module come from?
Is this a source install or a package? Did you modify it in any way?
It is clearly not an unmodified source distribution, and it is clearly
broken.