[Mailman-Users] permission denied error

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Fri Jul 24 06:47:38 CEST 2009

On 23-Jul-2009, at 22:12, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> LuKreme wrote:
>>> See my reply at
>>> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2009-July/066577.html
>>> >
>>> and provide the information I ask for, and we might be able to help.
>> Sorry, I never saw that post, it's not in my mail queue.
> My 23-Jul-2009, at 16:58 (-0600) post (and this one too) was sent to
> the list only. The post archived at the above link was addressed to
> you and to the list. The copy to you was accepted by your MX
> (mail.covisp.net). Perhaps you are filtering mail from me?

Not specifically, but mail to my list address that is not to a list
goes into a quarantine that I look at only on rare occasions. I never
saw the copy sent to the list though. The one directly to me is in the
quarantine and I pulled it out after seeing your second reply.

> Do Mailman's other cron jobs run without error?

I thought so, but it looks like they all are (this is the only one
ever 5 minutes, so it overwhelmed the others)

> Could this be a SELinux or other security manager issue?

FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE with no weird chroot stuff.

> What are the permissions on the /usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/
> directory?

2 drwxrwsr-x  21 mailman  mailman

> It's a satisfactory avoidance if you don't actually have any lists
> gating from usenet, and it's a reasonable 'efficiency' as well in that
> circumstance, but there is some underlying issue that should be
> addressed.

I'm still looking into it.  I suspect this has something to do with a
portupgrade as the errors started about the time I was doing a lot of

Hmm.. I think I might have found the problem, there was a crontab for
'nobody' that had the various mailman tasks in it. Mailman runs as the
user mailman, not nobody. See if that eliminates the issue.

Personal isn't the same as important