[Mailman-Users] Outlook Indenting messages

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Mon Jul 27 22:20:46 CEST 2009

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Ubuntu is based on Debian.
>
>I have just confirmed by testing that this problem is caused by the
>Debian Mailman patch "30_pipermail_threads.patch".
>
>This patch can be found by following the links from
><http://patch-tracking.debian.net/package/mailman> (I don't want to
>give a more specific URL because the URLs below this level are
>unstable).
>
>Thus, the problem potentially exists in all Debian/Ubuntu Mailman
>packages. The patch attempts to fix Debian bug  #167758
><http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=167758>, and it may
>do that, but it clearly breaks this.
>
>I'll try to report this to Debian.

The bug report (dated 4 Nov 2002) states:

     Hi, pipermail screws up threading in case that two messages
     which were sent at the same time both start a new thread.
     New messages to either thread are then only listed below.

     The problem is that threadKey in a thread starting message
     is only a function of message Date, nothing else.

     It may not happen that often in human communication that
     two messages are written at the very same time, but it
     happens with a lot of cron generated output here.

Does this problem exists in the SourceForge distribution?
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov