[Mailman-Users] Trivial prob in migrating

viz at lug.zhaw.ch viz at lug.zhaw.ch
Mon Jul 27 21:27:17 CEST 2009

Hi all

This must be triavial. Our mailman installation worked too
good, too long. So we forgot its details. Now we are
mirgrating to a new (virtual) server and I'm faced this
problem.

Old box: slackware 12.0, mailman installed from sources
New box: Ubuntu Server 2009.4, mailman got with apt-get,
the standard exim was replaced by postfix, also through
apt.

This is roughly what I did:
- copied old:/usr/local/mailman/{lists|archives|data} to
new:/var/lib/mailman/

- chown -R list /var/lib/mailman/{lists|archives|data}

- /etc/init.d/mailman start
and I get "IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck"

checking the privileges
-rw-rw---- 1 root klog    3660 2009-07-27 17:18 config.pck

its odd pending.pck and request.pck are owned by list:klog
and have timestamps 2008-10-21. Deleting config.pck didn't
help, it was recreated with the identical permissions.

What is missing?

Second question: How do I create all the special strings
needed by postfix?

best regards
Viz